Deadline all the time

breaking news stories, photos, and video

Archive for November 27th, 2007

‘Lando’ makes landfall in Mindoro

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
Last updated 08:11pm (Mla time) 11/27/2007

MANILA, Philippines — Tropical depression “Lando” (international codename: Hagibis) has made landfall and was crossing Mindoro Island late Tuesday afternoon, the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said.

At 4 p.m., the eye of “Lando” was spotted off the coast of Occidental Mindoro. The storm packed maximum sustained winds of 55 kilometers per hour, PAGASA said in its 5 p.m. bulletin.

Moving east northeast at 26 kilometers per hour, “Lando” was forecast to be at 140 kilometers east northeast of Virac town, Catanduanes province by Wednesday afternoon, 820 kilometers northeast of Virac by

Thursday afternoon, and 730 kilometers east southeast of Okinawa, Japan by Friday afternoon, PAGASA said.

Public Storm Signal number 1 (30-60 kilometers per hour winds) has been raised in Metro Manila, the Mindoro provinces, Lubang Island, Romblon, Marinduque, Batangas, Laguna, Cavite, Rizal, Bataan, Bulacan, Quezon, Polillo Island, the Camarines provinces, Albay, Burias Island, Catanduanes, Sorsogon, Masbate, Ticao Island, northern Palawan, the Calamian Group of Islands, Cuyo Island, Aklan, Capiz, Antique, Iloilo, and Northern Samar.

“Lando” reentered the country last Monday, dragged by another storm, “Mina” (international codename: Mitag), in what weather scientists call the Fujiwara effect, wherein a strong storm influences the movement of a relatively weaker storm.

“Mina” left 12 people killed and for others missing when it hit northeastern Luzon and brought rains to the eastern seaboard.

“Lando” left 14 people killed when it crossed northern Mindanao, the Visayas, and Palawan last week.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Advertisements

Written by joelguinto

Tue+00:002007-11-27T13:10:16+00:00+00:0011b+00:00Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:10:16 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 pm11

Posted in Uncategorized

Extrajudicial killings not AFP policy, AFP maintains

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
Last updated 05:51pm (Mla time) 11/27/2007

MANILA, Philippines — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) maintains it is not involved in extrajudicial killings, disputing the final report of United Nationals special rapporteur Philip Alston.

img_3262_edited.jpg

“It has never been the policy of the AFP to conduct such activity,” military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Bartolome Bacarro said.

“As an organization, we will never tolerate anybody who tramples upon the rights of the people, whom we are duty-bound to serve,” Bacarro said.

In an advance copy of the report, which will be submitted to the 8th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council, Alston blamed the military’s counterinsurgency strategy of targeting supposed fronts of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and its armed wing, the New People’s Army (NPA), for the killings.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Tue+00:002007-11-27T10:08:53+00:00+00:0011b+00:00Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:08:53 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am11

Posted in Uncategorized

Esperon: ‘No military policy to snoop on media’

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
Last updated 01:43pm (Mla time) 11/27/2007

MANILA, Philippines — Armed Forces chief of staff General Hermogenes Esperon Jr. said it was not the military’s policy to place members of media under surveillance.

img_3282_edited.jpg

Esperon said soldiers who mingled with reporters during the court martial hearing of the 28 military officers linked to the alleged February 2006 coup plot at an Army camp in Tanay town, Rizal province last November 16 were not snooping on the journalists.

“I don’t think that there was intent to snoop on media. They were just there to see what’s happening and keep the situation under control,” Esperon told reporters in Camp Aguinaldo.

But when told that the soldiers had posed as journalists and wore camp-issued security stickers for the media, Esperon said: “I have to look into that.”

Asked if it was military policy to place the media under surveillance, Esperon said: “To place you under surveillance? Not at all.”

He also said that the military had “no capability” to wiretap when asked if military intelligence was bugging reporters’ phones.

The National Union of Journalists in the Philippines (NUJP) condemned as deplorable, moronic, and utterly futile” the alleged snooping on reporters covering the court martial hearings.

At the same time, the NUJP called on Esperon to investigate the incident.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Tue+00:002007-11-27T05:55:20+00:00+00:0011b+00:00Tue, 27 Nov 2007 05:55:20 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am11

Posted in Uncategorized

Quake shakes Metro Manila, parts of Luzon–seismologists

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto, Tonette Orejas
INQUIRER.net, Inquirer
Last updated 01:44pm (Mla time) 11/27/2007

MANILA, Philippines — (UPDATE 4) An earthquake shook parts of Luzon, including Metro Manila Tuesday, sending people fleeing into the streets, seismologists and witnesses said.

The US Geological Survey said the earthquake, which struck at 12:27 p.m., was at magnitude 6.0 and was centered 195 kilometers (120 miles) northwest of Manila at a depth of depth 62.5 kilometers.

Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) chief Renato Solidum said the earthquake had a 4.2 magnitude and was located slightly offshore, 77 kilometers northwest of Lingayen town, Pangasinan province.

The quake was also felt in Baguio City, La Union, and Pampanga, Solidum said.

The earthquake was tectonic in origin, caused by the movement of the
Manila Trench, Solidum said.

He said the quake was too weak to cause a tsunami on the western seaboard.

There have been no reports of casualties or damages as of posting time, Solidum added.

Earlier in the day, witnesses and radio reports said some office buildings in Manila emptied as people rushed outside when the structures began to sway.

The city’s light railway system also stopped briefly, they added.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported that the quake was felt in the cities of Makati, Manila and Pasig, especially by tenants of high-rise buildings.

Malacañang, Senate, and Government Service Insurance System employees evacuated their buildings during the earthquake, according to INQUIRER.net in separate reports.

But Senator Juan Ponce-Enrile was undeterred as he proceeded with the floor debates on the proposed 2008 budget.

With reports from Veronica Uy, Lira D. Fernandez, INQUIRER.net; AFP; Originally posted at 12:49pm

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Tue+00:002007-11-27T05:50:03+00:00+00:0011b+00:00Tue, 27 Nov 2007 05:50:03 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am11

Posted in Uncategorized

‘Lando’ nears Palawan, Mindoro–PAGASA

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
Last updated 12:35pm (Mla time) 11/27/2007

MANILA, Philippines — Tropical depression “Lando” (international codename: Hagibis) moved closer to the area of Northern Palawan and Mindoro late Tuesday morning, the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said.

At 10 a.m. Tuesday, the eye of “Lando” was located at 130 kilometers west of Coron town, Palawan province. The storm packs maximum sustained winds of 55 kilometers per hour near the center, PAGASA said in its 11 a.m. bulletin.

Meanwhile, tropical storm “Mina” (international codename: Mitag), has left the Philippine Area of Responsibility after leaving 12 people dead, four others missing, and sending thousands to evacuation centers in northern Luzon.

Moving northeast at 22 kilometers per hour, “Lando” was forecast to be in the vicinity of Daet town, Camarines Norte by Wednesday morning, 550 kilometers east northeast of Daet by Thursday morning, and 970 kilometers northeast of Daet by Friday morning.

Public Storm signal number 1 (30-60 kilometers per hour winds) has been raised in the Mindoro provinces, Lubang Island, Romblon, Marinduque, Batangas, Laguna, Rizal, Southern Quezon, the Camarines provinces, Albay, Burias Island, and Catanduanes.

“Lando” reentered the country on Monday, after it was pulled back by “Mina” in a weather phenomenon known as the “Fujiwara effect,” in which a strong storm affects the movement of a relatively weaker one.

“Lando” left 14 people dead when it passed through northern Mindanao, the Visayas, and Palawan last week.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Tue+00:002007-11-27T05:00:34+00:00+00:0011b+00:00Tue, 27 Nov 2007 05:00:34 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am11

Posted in Uncategorized

US spy plane, RP ship search for missing air force jet

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
Last updated 12:26pm (Mla time) 11/27/2007

MANILA, Philippines — The United States military has sent a spy plane and the Philippine Navy will dispatch a patrol ship and an aircraft to help in the search for two Philippine Air Force (PAF) pilots who went missing with their S211 jet over Kalayaan Islands in the disputed Spratlys, officials said.

The P3 Orion have been scouring the waters off Kalayaan since early Monday morning until before midnight, when they were forced to return to the Antonio Bautista Airbase in Puerto Princesa City due to bad weather caused by tropical storm “Lando” (international codename: Hagibis), said Lieutenant Colonel Epifanio Panzo, PAF spokesman.

PAF Chief Lieutenant General Horacio Tolentino has also grounded all three remaining S211 jets as SOP (standard operating procedure), Panzo said.

“It did not find anything,” Panzo said, adding a Philippine Navy islander aircraft has been placed on standby in case the spy plane finds the missing S211.

The P3 Orion resumed its search when the weather cleared at 10:52 a.m. Tuesday, Panzo said.

Meanwhile, the Philippine Navy will dispatch a patrol ship, the BRP Rizal, to look for the PAF jet, Navy spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Ariel Caculitan said.

“We also asked the help of local fishermen to provide us with information on the missing jet,” Panzo said.

The S211 was declared missing when it failed to return to Puerto Princesa at noon Monday, after a search and security patrol mission in Kalayaan.

“It is an unfortunate incident brought about by the typhoon… The weather was bad but our pilots had to go there to search for a missing Filipino fishing vessel,” Armed Forces Chief Hermogenes Esperon Jr. said.

The S211 can fly for a maximum of four hours with its fuel capacity, Panzo said.

Pressed by reporters, Esperon said he was “discounting” the possibility that the S211 was shot down.

The oil-rich Spratlys is being claimed by the Philippines, China, Vietnam, Tawian, Brunei, and Malaysia.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Tue+00:002007-11-27T04:58:34+00:00+00:0011b+00:00Tue, 27 Nov 2007 04:58:34 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am11

Posted in Uncategorized

Mina death toll now 17; 4 missing — NDCC

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
Last updated 07:27pm (Mla time) 11/27/2007

MANILA, Philippines — (UPDATE 2) The death toll from tropical storm “Mina” (international codename: Mitag) rose to 17, with four others missing, as of Tuesday evening, the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) said.

pic-11270625250542-1.jpg

The NDCC said the storm has affected 118,712 families or 540,305 people across Luzon and Western Visayas. Of these, 12,164 families or 56,534 people were in evacuation shelters.

Bulk of the evacuees, 46,308 were in the provinces of Catanduanes, and Camarines Sur in the Bicol Region, which were placed under storm signal number 1, due to an approaching tropical depression, “Lando” (international codename: Hagibis).

“Lando” made landfall on Mindoro Island late Tuesday afternoon, and was forecast to hit the provinces of Marinduque, Romblon, Camarines Norte, and Camarines Sur, said Nathaniel Cruz, chief of the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) weather branch.

The other evacuees were in the provinces of Laguna (790), Bulacan (750), Quezon (350), the NDCC said.

The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) reported P162,017,000 in damage to infrastructure, the Department of Agriculture (DA) reported P109,648,281 in damage to agriculture, the NDCC said.

The Department of Education (DepEd) reported P210,825,000 in damage to classrooms in the provinces of Ilocos Norte, Apayao, Kalinga, Mt. Province, Cagayan, Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya, and Laoag City, the NDCC said.

The storm also totally damages 114 houses and partially damaged 2,533 others. In Ilocos Norte province alone, 1,270 houses were partially damaged.

Of the 17 deaths, mostly due to drowning, eight happened in the Bicol Region. Three deaths were reported in Southern Luzon, four in the Cordilleras, and two in the Ilocos Region.

The four missing persons include two Philippine Air Force (PAF) pilots who failed to return from their reconnaissance mission over the Kalayaan Islands. The two others were feared to have drowned in Conner town, Apayao province and Baggao town, Cagayan province.

“Mina” was first forecast to hit the Bicol Region before it changed course and slammed into extreme northern Luzon last Sunday evening.

“Lando” killed 13 people last week in its initial pass over the Philippines. It subsequently reversed its course Monday.

Another brewing storm is expected to hit the Philippines in the next four days and bring more rains to the eastern part of Luzon and the central Philippines, the weather bureau said.

With a report from AFP; Originally posted at 11:05am

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Tue+00:002007-11-27T04:57:33+00:00+00:0011b+00:00Tue, 27 Nov 2007 04:57:33 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am11

Posted in Uncategorized