Deadline all the time

breaking news stories, photos, and video

Military rescue operations for Basilan workers suspended

with one comment

Negotiations underway–official

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 16:39:00 06/30/2008

MANILA, Philippines — Rescue operations for four employees of an electric cooperative that were kidnapped by alleged Abu Sayyaf bandits in the southern island province of Basilan have been suspended to give way to negotiations, a military official said.

Vice Governor Al-Rashid Sakalahul is leading the negotiations against the abductors, Marine Corps Commandant Major General Ben Dolorfino told reporters on Monday.

Quoting Senior Superintendent Salik Macapantar, Basilan provincial police director, Dolorfino said: “They have suspended the conduct of Police and Marine rescue operations pending the negotiation being conducted by the vice governor and the authorities of the Basilan Electric Co.”

Dolorfino could not say whether the kidnappers, led by Abu Sayyaf leaders Nur Hasan Jamiri and Furuji Indama, have made any demands.

“In a situation like that, the primary consideration always is the safety of the victims, so we are giving way to the crisis management team,” Dolorfino said.

On June 26, the Abu Sayyaf allegedly abducted five employees of the
Basilan Electric Cooperative (Baselco) in Tuburan town, while they were inspecting transmission lines. One of the abductees was freed later in the day, reportedly because he was a member of the Yakan tribe, like the abductors.

The Tuburan incident was the second kidnapping incident involving the Abu Sayyaf this month. On June 8, the bandits abducted an ABS-CBN television news crew and their guide in Sulu province and were freed several days later, amid reports that ransom was paid.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Advertisements

Written by joelguinto

MonUTC2008-06-30T09:26:21+00:00UTC06bUTCMon, 30 Jun 2008 09:26:21 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am06

Posted in Uncategorized

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. General Benjamin Muhammad Dolorfino is himself at least partly to blame for this and all other kidnappings subsequent to his own detention last year, for which he first claimed to have paid “board and lodging” and then admitted it was a 500,000 peso ransom. Every ransom paid to kidnappers, especially terrorist kidnappers, like the one for Fr. Giancarlo Bossi, sets up the very next ones. What a dastardly hypocrite he is!

    DJB Rizalist

    MonUTC2008-06-30T12:30:18+00:00UTC06bUTCMon, 30 Jun 2008 12:30:18 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 pm06


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: