Deadline all the time

breaking news stories, photos, and video

Fishing ban in Romblon town near ferry stays–DA exec

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 17:09:00 07/09/2008

MANILA, Philippines — The fishing ban in the coastal town of San Fernando in Romblon province, off which the MV Princess of the Stars capsized and sunk last month, will remain as a precautionary measure even as the waters tested negative for pesticide contamination, an agriculture official said on Wednesday.

“A [fishing] ban is in place. We will maintain that for the meantime,” Agriculture Undersecretary Bernie Fondevilla told a news conference after a meeting of the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) in Camp Aguinaldo.

Fondevilla said the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) would test fish, seaweeds and sediments, aside from water samples, for possible contamination.

The passenger ferry, which was carrying 862 passengers and crew, capsized and sank in rough waters off San Fernando town on June 21 after it sailed into the path of typhoon “Frank” (international codename: Fengshen).

Search operations in the ferry wreck were suspended on June 27 after officials discovered 10 metric tons of endosulfan, a highly toxic pesticide, in the cargo area.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Advertisements

Written by joelguinto

WedUTC2008-07-09T09:37:31+00:00UTC07bUTCWed, 09 Jul 2008 09:37:31 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am07

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: