Deadline all the time

breaking news stories, photos, and video

Military: No troops held captive by MILF

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 18:20:00 08/07/2008

MANILA, Philippines — The military on Thursday denied the claim made earlier in the day by North Cotabato Vice Governor Emmanuel Piñol that Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) rebels were holding troops and militiamen hostage.

“The allegation is not true. No soldier or CAFGU [Citizens Armed Forces Geographical Unit militiaman] is being held hostage by the MILF,” Armed Forces spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Ernesto Torres Jr. said, quoting a report from the commander of the 40th Infantry Battalion based in North Cotabato, Lieutenant Colonel Disodado Carreon.

Torres said the military personnel Piñol was referring too were former personnel of Dunfuan CAFGU detachment, which he acknowledged was “almost surrounded by the MILF.”

“The personnel mentioned by Vice Governor Piñol are very much alive,” Torres said in a text message.

The militiamen had been replaced and the military is keeping forces in the detachment to prevent the MILF from occupying the outpost, Torres added.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Advertisements

Written by joelguinto

ThuUTC2008-08-07T15:33:06+00:00UTC08bUTCThu, 07 Aug 2008 15:33:06 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 pm08

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: