Palace condoles with Mumbai victims
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang condoled with the victims of the terrorist attack in India that killed at least 82 people, as it allayed fears that the same incident could happen in the country.
“The entire Filipino nation and Filipino around the world mourn with the families of those who died and were hurt because of the Mumbai attacks,” Deputy Presidential Spokesman Anthony Golez said in a statement.
“We condemn these terrorist attacks against mankind and we will be united with the entire Indian nation and the rest of the world in its quest to end terrorism the soonest possible time,” he said.
National Security Adviser Norberto Gonzales said security forces have not let their guard down, even as the terrorist threat in the country was “low.”
“Just because it happened in India, it does not mean that it could happen in the Philippines. We have been monitoring the situation, and so far, the threat of terrorism in the Philippines is low,” he said.
On Wednesday evening, gunmen stormed hotels, hospitals, a train station, and a popular restaurant in India’s financial capital, Mumbai. A previously unknown group of Islamic militants took responsibility for the attacks.
The last major terrorist attack in the country was in Feb. 14, 2005, when the al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf bombed the cities of Makati, Davao, and General Santos, killing eight people and wounding dozens of others.
On Feb. 27, 2004, the Abu Sayyaf firebombed the Superferry 14 off Manila Bay, killing some 200 people.
View article as posted on INQUIRER.net