Deadline all the time

breaking news stories, photos, and video

Palace warns troops chasing ICRC captors

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 11:08:00 02/10/2009

Filed Under: Treaties & International Organisations, Military, Red cross kidnapping

MANILA, Philippines – (UPDATE) Malacañang has cautioned security forces running after the alleged captors of a three-man International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) against endangering the lives of the hostages.

Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita said the Palace has directed Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. and Interior Secretary Ronaldo Puno to remind troops of the “need for care” while in pursuit operations.

“They have to ensure the safety of the hostages Yun ang mahalaga dun [That is the important thing],” Ermita told reporters in Malacañang Tuesday.

Ermita said the Palace would not order a halt to the chase.

On Monday, troops closed in on the captors of ICRC workers Andres Notter, a Swiss national; Eugenio Vagni, an Italian national; and Mary Jean Lacaba, a Filipina, sparking a firefight.

The Red Cross team was snatched in Sulu last month after they inspected sanitation facilities at the provincial jail.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

TueUTC2009-02-10T12:41:35+00:00UTC02bUTCTue, 10 Feb 2009 12:41:35 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 pm02

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: