Deadline all the time

breaking news stories, photos, and video

Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category

Sabotage ruled out in missing chopper

with 3 comments

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 13:17:00 04/08/2009

MANILA, Philippines – Authorities have ruled out sabotage in the case of a presidential helicopter that has gone missing in the north, saying it was “very remote” given tight security.

Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita said President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo was not scheduled to board the Bell 412 since it was only a back-up aircraft.

Five Malacañang staff were on board the helicopter – press undersecretary Jose Capadocia, appointments secretary Marilou Frostrom, director Perlita Bandayanon from the Presidential Management Staff, Senior Military Aide to the President Brigadier General Carlos Clet, Clet’s aide Petty Officer 1 Demy Reyno.

Major Rolando Sacatani was the pilot with Captain Alvin Alegata as co-pilot.

“Definitely, we have ruled out that angle,” Philippine Air Force (PAF) Chief Lieutenant General Oscar Rabena told a news conference at the Palace, when asked if investigators were eyeing sabotage.

Asked why sabotage was being ruled out, Rabena said: “Because the presidential helicopters are well secured. They have guards in place, and it is very remote that a saboteur was able to come near the choppers.”

Rabena said the PAF had “no idea” yet on why the Bell 412 went missing. Reports said the aircraft encountered bad weather after it took off from the Loakan Airport in Baguio City, near the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) at around 4:20 p.m. Tuesday.

The group was set to conduct an ocular inspection of the Halzema Highway in Banaue town, Ifugao province ahead of Arroyo’s visit there, which was eventually cancelled.

The President is staying at her vacation house in Baguio City, monitoring the search and rescue operations, Press Secretary Cerge Remonde said.

As standard operating procedure, Rabena said all Bell 412 helicopters in the PAF’s inventory have been grounded, and the President would use other aircraft in the meantime.

Meanwhile, a mass was held at noon Wednesday at the Palace briefing room, across Capadocia’s office to pray for the group’s safety.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Wed+00:002009-04-08T08:52:37+00:00+00:0004b+00:00Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:52:37 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am04

Posted in Uncategorized

US helps in search for presidential chopper

leave a comment »

Two cargo choppers dispatched

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 12:39:00 04/08/2009

MANILA, Philippines – (UPDATE) The United States has dispatched two cargo helicopters to help in search and rescue operations for a presidential helicopter that went missing in the north Tuesday, the chief of the Philippine Air Force (PAF) said.

The helicopters, which were identified as CH-46 Sea Knight, are expected to arrive at the Loakan Airport in Baguio City Wednesday noon from Zamboanga City, where US troops are preparing for annual joint exercises with Filipino troops, PAF Chief Lieutenant General Oscar Rabena told a news conference in Malacañang Wednesday.

Rabena said the PAF also dispatched five helicopters, including Vietnam War era UH-1H or Hueys to look for the Bell 412 presidential chopper that was carrying two pilots and five Palace staff, including press undersecretary Jose Capadocia, appointments secretary Marilou Frostrom, the President’s senior military aide Brigadier General Carlos Clet.

The Bell 412 was declared missing late Tuesday evening after it failed to land in Ifugao province after it took off from the Loakan Airport at 4:20 p.m.

Also on Tuesday, a PAF Fokker F-27 was dispatched to track down an emergency signal that was believed to have come from the Bell 412, but there have been no sighting so far of the missing aircraft, said Major General Jovito Gamad, PAF chief of staff.

The missing Bell 412 chopper is equipped with a global positioning system, navigational and weather instruments, an onboard radar, and an emergency locator transmitter, Lieutenant Colonel Ernesto Torres, Jr. said, adding that it is rated for day and night instrument flight rating.

The chopper was purchased brand new and was delivered in 1996, and its latest Certificate of Airworthiness was issued on February 10 and set to expire Feb. 10, 2010, Torres said.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Wed+00:002009-04-08T08:50:18+00:00+00:0004b+00:00Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:50:18 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am04

Posted in Uncategorized

WWII vets’ grandkids eyed for service corps

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 12:18:00 04/07/2009

MT. SAMAT, Bataan – President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo said the government would tap grandchildren of World War II veterans for the recently-launched National Service Corps, which is geared towards community service.

In a speech during the 67th Araw ng Kagitingan (Day of Valor) celebrations at the Dambana ng Kagitingan (Shrine of Valor) war memorial here, Arroyo also announced that the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is looking for 10,000 “field engineers” for its poverty mapping project.

“I would like to instruct, [defense] undersecretary [Ernesto] Carolina to help us identify grandchildren of Filipino World War II veterans [who] can be recruited to the National Service Corps. This is another way of helping our veterans,” she said.

Arroyo likened the P1-billion poverty mapping project to a GPS (Global Positioning System) device that will locate poor families eligible for conditional cash transfers and subsidized rice from the government.

“The DSWD needs an army of field engineers in assembling a concise picture of poverty and coordinate where poor households are,” she said.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Tue+00:002009-04-07T08:02:48+00:00+00:0004b+00:00Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:02:48 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am04

Posted in Uncategorized

Envoy: 26,000 apply for WWII vets’ lump sums

leave a comment »

US approves 3 payments

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 13:11:00 04/07/2009

MT. SAMAT, Bataan – At least 26,000 Filipino World War II veterans have applied for the lump sum payments offered by the US government, US Ambassador Kristie Kenney said on Tuesday as officials announced that three of the applicants’ payments have been approved.

Two of the three veterans, Felix Pestana and Rafael Estrada, received notices of approval of their applications from Kenney during the 67th Araw ng Kagitingan (Day of Valor) celebrations at the Dambana ng Kagitingan (Shrine of Valor) here.

The third veteran, Salvador Princesa, a former guerilla intelligence officer in the Bicol region, failed to attend the ceremonies because of mild pneumonia, defense undersecretary for veterans and reservist affairs Ernesto Carolina said.

“We have, I think as of last Friday, there could be more even now, had 26,000 people apply. We’re processing those. We expect to be giving out the first notices you saw here this morning,” Kenney told reporters in an interview.

“You can help us, again get the message out…if there are other people out there, please apply [for the lump sums], people who think they’re eligible, it’s free [to apply],” she said.

Kenney reiterated that the US Embassy in Manila and the Philippine Veterans Affairs Office (PVAO) will continue accepting claim applications for one year. The application period started last February.

Filipino veterans in the country are entitled to a $9,500 lump sum while those living in the US can get $15,000.

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, in her speech, again thanked US President Barack Obama and American lawmakers for passing the economic stimulus package, which included the lump sum payouts.

The Araw ng Kagitingan rites commemorate the heroism of Filipino and American forces who fought the Japanese occupation.

In a speech, Japanese Ambassador Makoto Katsura reiterated that his country expressed “apology and a deep sense of remorse” for the “damages” caused by the war, including the Death March, during which Filipino and American forces who surrendered in Bataan were forced to march to Tarlac province.

Kenney, in her speech, noted the significance of commemorating the heroism of World War II veterans during the Holy Week, when Catholics remember the passion of Jesus Christ.

“It is a week in which we recognize new beginnings borne out of sacrifice,” she said.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Tue+00:002009-04-07T08:01:32+00:00+00:0004b+00:00Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:01:32 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am04

Posted in Uncategorized

‘Less talk, the better’ for 2 hostages—Palace

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 17:06:00 04/03/2009

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang kept mum on details about the release of a Filipina Red Cross worker from the Abu Sayyaf, so as not to compromise the safety of the two other captives.

Press Secretary Cerge Remonde, however, maintained that the government was firm in its “no ransom” policy, amid speculation that money changed hands for the release of Mary Jean Lacaba on Thursday evening.

“The less talk muna [for now], the better,” Remonde said, adding “Hindi natin muna dapat busisiin. Hayaan natin ang autoridad on the ground [We should not scrutinize this now. Let’s leave this to authorities on the ground].”

Remonde said the Palace was “grateful” to those who worked for Lacaba’s release – the local crisis committee headed by Sulu Governor Abdusakur Tan, Interior Secretary Ronaldo Puno, and Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr.

“They have done a good job. Na-release naman si Lacaba [Lacaba was released],” Remonde said.

Two International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) workers remain under captivity, Swiss national Andreas Notter and Italian national Eugenio Vagni.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Fri+00:002009-04-03T18:04:42+00:00+00:0004b+00:00Fri, 03 Apr 2009 18:04:42 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 pm04

Posted in Uncategorized

Palace welcomes move to shelve Charter change

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 16:48:00 04/03/2009

MANILA, Philippines — President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s chief political adviser welcomed a move by the administration Lakas Christian Muslim Democrats party to put efforts to rewrite the 1987 Constitution in the backburner.

“We welcome, cheer, and support the assurances of the leaders and Charter (change) proponents in Congress that, whatever route or fate cha cha (Charter change) takes, the elections next year will not be suspended or cancelled and terms of incumbent officials will not be extended,” Presidential Political Adviser Gabriel Claudio said.

“The Palace simply maintains its position to leave the fate and disposition of cha cha to Congress. Meanwhile, we are putting on high gear all preparations for the general polls next year, particularly measures to ensure honest, efficient, and credible elections through full automation,” he said.

House Speaker and Lakas-CMD President Prospero Nograles had said that Charter change proponents only have until the adjournment sine die of Congress on June 6 to push for their resolutions to amend the Charter.

He said there was not enough time to push for constitutional amendments when Congress resumes sessions in late July, or 10 months before the May 2010 elections.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Fri+00:002009-04-03T18:03:36+00:00+00:0004b+00:00Fri, 03 Apr 2009 18:03:36 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 pm04

Posted in Uncategorized

Arroyo sets P35-M for school buildings

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 12:25:00 04/03/2009

MANILA, Philippines – President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo announced that she would give P35 million to the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FFCCII) to build low-cost school buildings for grade school students.

The President praised the FFCCII for donating thousands of school buildings, which they built “at half the cost” in a speech during the group’s 27th biennial conference in Pasay City on Friday.

“I will give you a P35-million check so that you can be even more generous, as you have been generous with your two-classroom building donations,” she said.

The President said the money should be spent in elementary schools where the ratio of students per classroom was 100 for every shift or 50 students each for two shifts.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Fri+00:002009-04-03T18:01:20+00:00+00:0004b+00:00Fri, 03 Apr 2009 18:01:20 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 pm04

Posted in Uncategorized

Arroyo to NCRPO chief: Probe kidnap cases

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 13:25:00 04/03/2009

MANILA, Philippines – President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has directed the new chief of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) to investigate reported kidnapping incidents in the metropolis.

The President issued the directive to Chief Superintendent Roberto Rosales in a speech before the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry Inc. in Pasay City on Friday.

Arroyo said she had ordered Rosales to “look into the kidnapping incidents in Metro Manila.”

“He has done a good job in Manila. I’m sure you’re supporting him [in his new assignment],” Arroyo said of Rosales, who was Manila Police District chief before he took over the NCRPO from Director Leopoldo Bataoil.

The President said security forces should “become even more vigilant” in the face of kidnapping incidents in the country.

An anti-crime crusader, Teresita Ang See, has said there were 40 cases of kidnapping so far this year, but the police leadership has refuted the figure.

Chinese-Filipinos are common targets of kidnap for ransom groups.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Fri+00:002009-04-03T17:59:57+00:00+00:0004b+00:00Fri, 03 Apr 2009 17:59:57 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 pm04

Posted in Uncategorized

Arroyo talks to freed Red Cross worker

leave a comment »

Commends troops, crisis committee

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 12:03:00 04/03/2009

MANILA, Philippines — President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo said she talked on the phone with Mary Jean Lacaba, a Red Cross worker freed by the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu, after over 70 days in captivity.

Arroyo also commended the military, the police, the interior and defense departments, and the local crisis committee for working for Lacaba’s release.

“This [Friday] morning, I was able to talk tot he phone with Ms Lacaba. I told her I was happy that she was back with us,” the President said in speech before Chinese businessmen in Pasay City.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Fri+00:002009-04-03T17:58:45+00:00+00:0004b+00:00Fri, 03 Apr 2009 17:58:45 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 pm04

Posted in Uncategorized

Guinness bet photo mosaic for Arroyo birthday

leave a comment »

By Joel Guinto
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 16:37:00 04/02/2009

MANILA, Philippines—Government agencies will take a crack at a Guinness World Record by rolling out the largest photo mosaic, featuring 1,000 pictures of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

The 180 x 160-foot tarpaulin print will be unveiled at the Quirino Grandstand in Manila at 11 a.m. on Sunday, the President’s 62nd birthday, Malacañang said in a statement.

The photos that will be used in the mosaic were taken by veteran photojournalist Revoli Cortez, the statement said.

It could not be immediately confirmed if the President will witness the unveiling of her photo mosaic. According to her schedule, she will celebrate her birthday in her hometown of Lubao in Pampanga province.

The event will be sponsored by the Office of the Press Secretary, the Department of Interior and Local Government, the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office, and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp.

View article as posted on INQUIRER.net

Written by joelguinto

Thu+00:002009-04-02T08:50:51+00:00+00:0004b+00:00Thu, 02 Apr 2009 08:50:51 +0000 22, 2006 at 12:45 am04

Posted in Uncategorized